Monday, September 17, 2012

Potty Training Chronicles

So...I started potty training Miss Emmaree at the beginning of the summer, and it was SO easy. She did so great, it was hard for me to believe. She slept through the night without waking up wet, or without me waking her up to go. It was unbelievable...especially since she was so young...Well, around the end of July, it totally turned around...she wouldn't tell us when she had to go, she was waking up wet all the time...if you didn't get to her crib right when she woke up from naps, she would have already wet the bed...it was so frustrating for me...

Anyway...a couple weeks ago, Emma woke up in the middle of the night with a fever of 102 degrees...I didn't want to give her tylenol cause I wanted to be able to keep track of what her fever was and everything...she ended up sleeping in bed with me and just was SUPER cuddly and would cry out often, and I would just rub her back, but honestly had never seen her this sick before...I kept tabs on her fever and it went anywhere from 102 degrees to 104 degrees...In the morning I called the pediatrician's office as soon as it opened and they could see me at 10:00...I tried to keep her comfortable, but by the time we got there, her fever was at 105 degrees, so they immediately put her on Ibuprofen, they were glad I hadn't done that earlier though because they said had she not had as high of a fever, they would have treated everything differently...anyway, after ruling everything else out, they finally decided to give her a catheter and test her urine - I have never heard my little girl scream the way that she did when she had the cath put in...it was absolutely the worst sound I have EVER heard...tests came back and showed that she had as Urinary Tract Infection...they put her on antibiotics for 10 days and within a few days  of those, she was back to her usual fun self...

Since this all happened though, and since she has been feeling better, she is back to doing absolutely amazing at potty training...sleeps 13 hours without wetting the bed, and hasn't had an accident for DAYS!!!! YAY...but looking back, I wonder how long she had had the UTI...was it since the end of July and it just kept getting worse and worse? Or is that even possible? I just thought maybe that explained the sudden difference in how potty training was going..? Who knows? I'll probably never know... All I know is that I am happy I have a healthy fully potty trained little girl!!! :)

0 comments: